Essential Oils for Natural Hair
To Help Care for Your Beautiful Locks!
If you have natural hair and have struggled with different hair care-related health and beauty issues, check out our list of seven essential oils for natural hair that can help you with your hair regimen, so that you can achieve the results that you want.
This year is the first year that I have used essential oils on my natural hair. And after using essential oils (at the behest of a beautician to whom I will ever be grateful), I don’t think I’ll go back to traditional lotions, hair creams or oils again.
For me, the experience and results have been mind-blowing. After suffering through a period where I endured hair loss (my hair had thinned considerably), and my hair had become brittle and generally felt and looked unhealthy, I now have hair that feels soft and silky to the touch, is bouncy and light, is well-managed, well-nourished and doesn’t feel dry, hard, heavy or weighed down with hair product.
So, if you’re seeking healthier, silkier, well-managed hair, we’ve made a list of essential oils you can use to help you “bring the sexy back” to your hair.
Essential Oils for Natural Hair
1. Argan essential oil – I. LOVE. THIS. OIL. Argan oil comes from the nut of the argan tree which is native to Morocco. It has culinary uses (for eating with bread and prepared with pasta, for example), is used medicinally, but is also used for cosmetic purposes including shampoo, moisturizers, face creams and hair care.
Argan oil contains vitamin E, natural phenols and fatty acids. It promotes hair growth because it stimulates the scalp, moisturizes, relieves dry and itchy scalp, conditions hair and makes it shine, helps to protect hair from heat damage, and helps to tame hair “frizz”.
2. Camomile essential oil – Camomile oil and the active compound that it contains, terpenoids, is extracted from the flowers of the camomile plant.
Camomile is used in foods and beverages, as well as cosmetics, skin creams and more. When used for your hair, camomile adds softness and shine, helps to condition the scalp and promotes hair growth.
3. Eucalyptus essential oil – Eucalyptus oil comes from the leaves of the eucalyptus tree, originally grown in Australia. It has proven health benefits including antiseptic, anti-microbial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and decongestant properties.
Like peppermint oil, eucalyptus stimulates circulation and the nourishment of hair follicles, and so promotes hair growth. It also relieves itchy, dry scalp and is a treatment for hair lice. One caution, eucalyptus is very strongly concentrated, so a very small amount goes a long way.
4. Lavender essential oil – Aaaah lavender! Just saying the name and your mind automatically conjures up that lovely fragrant scent of this popular plant. Lavender oil is most widely known for scenting perfumes, home fragrances, sachets and more.
But as with many essential oils, it has many additional beneficial properties. Lavender oil helps to ease dryness of your hair, and when used for scalp message, it relieves dry scalp, soothes itchy scalp, and can help to stimulate your hair growth.
5. Lemon essential oil – Lemon oil is extremely popular and a very versatile essential oil. It comes from the lemon rind, and is used for everything from cleaning to refreshing the air, treating wood and furniture care, to food flavoring, relieving respiratory discomfort and much, much more. It has many practical uses.
For hair care, it cleanses the scalp and soothes scalp itch, helps to stimulate the scalp which in turn helps to promote hair growth, and helps to get hair clean, removing oily buildup and helps hair to smell fresh.
6. Peppermint essential oil – Peppermint oil is an extraction from the peppermint plant that contains menthol, which gives it its very distinctive taste and smell. We all recognize peppermint oil as widely used for flavoring foods and beverages, as an additive for fragrances, and as a skin conditioning agent.
But we may not be as well acquainted with its other uses. Peppermint oil is anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial, helps to soothe upset stomach, and has other medicinal properties. It is used for several types of digestive and gastric problems including indigestion, heartburn and IBS.
It is also used topically for things like insect bites and headache relief. And related to hair care, peppermint oil has been scientifically found to promote hair growth. It increases blood flow and circulation, which makes it beneficial for hair growth and slowing or helping to prevent hair loss. It is also beneficial for relief of scalp dryness and dandruff.
7. Rosemary essential oil – Many of us are familiar with rosemary as a spice for flavoring food or as a fragrance for lotions and soaps; less so with rosemary oil and its benefits.
Rosemary is an herb that is native to and originates from the Mediterranean region, but is now grown all over the world. Rosemary oil is extracted from the plant’s flowering tops and plant leaves.
For hair care, the oil stimulates blood circulation when used to massage the scalp, which helps to promote healthy hair growth.
8. Tea tree essential oil – Tea tree oil comes from the Melaleuca alternifolia, or tea tree, in Australia, and was first used by the indigenous aboriginal people. It has antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiviral, and antiseptic properties, and offers an uplifting, invigorating scent.
Tea tree oil is made up of a number of healthy and beneficial compounds. 4-terpineol is one of the most abundant terpenes found in tea tree oil and has a highly antiseptic property.
Eucalyptol is ideal for repelling insects and even relieving coughs. A-pinene is an anti-inflammatory, and p-cymene is a natural antioxidant. Tea tree oil is great for several elements of hair care including the promotion of hair growth, getting rid of dandruff and dry, itchy scalp, and it helps arrest thinning hair and with prevention of hair loss.
How to Use Essential Oils on Your Natural Hair
If you’re new to using essential oils for your hair, there’s just a couple basic things to remember:
Essential Oil Use – To use the oil full strength, remember a little goes a long way. Essential oils are concentrated. Just a few drops in the palm of your hand, rubbed between your hands and then distributed throughout your hair is all you need.
When you have rubbed the oil evenly through your hair (don’t neglect to go from the roots all the way to the ends), then you can brush, comb, twist, or flat iron your hair and style as you wish. (Note: When used in this manner, rub the oil into your hair, and avoid applying it directly to, or having it come into contact with, your scalp.)
Carrier Oils – To use an essential oil on your scalp, as in a scalp treatement, moisturizer, or massage to improve blood circulation and promote hair growth, you’ll want to use a “carrier” oil. Carrier oils help you to avoid skin irritations, allegic reactions, itching or swelling that may come with using an essential oil alone.
A carrier oil is a vegetable oil used as a base to dilute the concentration of an essential oil, so that you can use the essential oil (in a milder form) on your skin or scalp safely and comfortably. Examples of carrier oils are olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil.
Always purchase essential oils from a reliable and credible source. The purity and the quality of the product definitely matters.
Our natural, coily, curly hair requires attention to things like healthy scalp conditioning, moisturizers and the stimulation of hair follicles for healthy hair growth. Essential oils provide natural, organic and healthy alternatives to chemically-manufactured hair products that help us to care for and style our hair.
SHOP THIS POST
Simply Hair Oil is a blend of argan, rosemary and other all natural oils your hair will love with no additives or chemicals. It will make hair soft and shiny, helps to tame frizz, and protects your hair from the heat of styling tools. Doesn’t feel greasy or leave your hair feeling weighed down. Your hair will look and feel fabulous!
Lavender Essential Oil – Moisturize your hair, soothe your scalp and relieve dryness, promote silky, healthy hair.
Tea Tree Essential Oil – Promote hair growth, get rid of dandruff and dry, itchy scalp.
Lemon Essential Oil – Cleanse and stimulate your scalp, soothe scalp itch, promote hair growth for clean, fresh-smelling hair.